Hope Springs Eternal in the Human Heart

Monday, November 20, 2006

goals...running...whatever...



So, yesterday I went for the longest run of my life. It's been a goal of mine for awhile now, this certain 'time' that I wanted to run for. And yesterday morning, I was just feeling it. Unplanned, until about halfway through my run, and then I thought...'what if?? what if TODAY is 'the day'...what if I just go for it?' And so, I did...and it felt good. It felt GREAT, actually :)

And it has made me think about the concept of challenging yourself. I've been working hard on that one this fall, really pushing myself to go beyond what I THINK I can do, in some areas. And it's been really beneficial. Reinhold Messner, arguably the greatest mountaineer of our century, said in a recent National Geographic interview something like "It's not that I'm so unafraid...it's not courage if there's no fear, no risk involved...I'm afraid, but I do it anyway." And I like that...the concept of challenge, and pushing ourselves to do things that are out of our comfort zones, BECAUSE they grow us.

So...all that to say, those of you who are considering some challenges for yourselves...go for it. Be willing to risk a little. It is almost always worth it :) I leave you with a quote from Anais Nin:

And the day came
when the risk to remain
tight in a bud
was more painful
than the risk it took to blossom.

so get out there and blossom, suckas! :)

hm...this blogging thing is kind of fun...you just get to write your random thoughts, and who knows if anyone ever reads them...but who cares?!? :)

5 Comments:

  • but then people DO read your thoughts and YAY! it's so exciting! So in response to your post....that's why and where the 30 before 30 came from, and it's been GREAT.

    By Blogger caramac, at 8:36 PM  

  • I love your running shoes and I love you.

    By Blogger Smarshie, at 1:01 PM  

  • nice shoes babe.

    hey i gots some pics up of our party.

    By Blogger Mike Murrow, at 8:17 PM  

  • Hey anonymous, I've got an online purchase for you. You can kiss my ass for 30 percent off!

    Dude seriously Fail, good work on the running thing. I know that was always something you once hated to do. Glad you are finding some goodness in it.

    By Blogger james, at 5:06 AM  

  • hahahaha! found you.

    so, there's now a cyber-holly? i kinda like the concept.

    By Blogger cade, at 4:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home