Hope Springs Eternal in the Human Heart

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Pancakes...and songs...and poetry...cause hope springs eternal...


Have you ever wondered if someone on the planet actually digs you, but you don’t know it? Summer of ’99, I worked for 3 weeks at Redwood Camp at Mt Hermon. I became decent friends with a girl’s counselor named Jo-lay. She was great. The biggest thing that Jolay and I had in common (aside from Jesus and camp, of course) was that we both had crushes on the same ultra-wonderful summer staff guy at Mt Hermon, Holby. He was fabulous, loved Jesus, hot, and of course…totally out of reach for us. I don’t know if either of us had ever even spoken to him. So, we compensated…we were making pancakes out by the Meadow on a Saturday morning…and so we made pancakes in the SHAPE OF HIS NAME. that’s right, H-O-L-B-Y, in pancake batter. Yep…it’s true…

And lest all you gentlemen roll your eyes, it’s not just girls that act like this. A certain guy friend of mine, who will remain nameless, nursed a HUGE crush for a young lady (from afar) this past summer, yet downloaded songs that contained her middle name and would listen to them throughout the day. He even turned her first name into a German word that he could shout at any time…because he was freaking SMITTEN!

And so it makes me think…what if there are people out there, making pancakes in the shapes of YOUR name, or mine, or downloading songs with our names in them? (by the way, the great 70’s band Boston has already written my song, Holly Ann, so you can download it any time you like) Seriously…I found out my senior year of college that one of my guy friends liked me our sophomore year…wrote POETRY about me and everything…and yet I never knew!!

And so, all that to say…there might be someone out there doing something odd but cute only because they’re thinking of YOU.

So be encouraged. :) Perhaps someone right now is making pancakes with YOUR initials in them…YOU JUST NEVER KNOW!! Posted by Picasa

Anyone want to list their OWN true confessions about such things you've done?? :)

13 Comments:

  • i dono, i would be a little freaked out. cade had a stalker when we were back at KU and she did stuff like that.

    but i guess the difference in a stalker and a lover is if the feelings are mutual.

    By Blogger Mike Murrow, at 4:01 PM  

  • yes...i suppose that is the difference :) i guess that makes me the Pancake Stalker...film at 11...

    By Blogger hollyannfail, at 4:36 PM  

  • Holby dated my older sister. I can get you digits.

    Ha ha.

    By Blogger Smarshie, at 11:10 AM  

  • oh baby, hook me up!! since we've never even met and now i'm this public stalker...perfect... :)

    i love you, marshie :) write me!

    By Blogger hollyannfail, at 11:58 AM  

  • Pancake letter making? That's ridiculous. I mean, seriously, who does stuff like that? It's like... well, ok... I have this "friend" who wrote a 115 page Choose Your Own Adventure book (yeah, wrote from scratch) for a girl he'd never even met before. Yeah, it was a book about her life. He knew she wrote for a paper in Santa Cruz, so he thought he'd send her something to read for kicks. What a lamo! Who does that stuff? Romance, bah, humbug. 'Tis the season to eat snow (just not yellow).

    I have another "friend" who'd send flowers all the time to various girls he'd met, just to cheer them up. Yeah, and get this, he'd send them anonymously. He was always doing junk like that... crazy. I mean, if you're going to spend the money... c'mon, who's with me?

    Another "friend" of mine once sent one of Holly's friends a whole bunch of valentines for valentines day. You know, those kind we all passed each other in elementary school? Those rocked. Yeah, he sent her some ridiculous number of those in the mail just so she'd have valentine's on valentine's day. Again, I say, "blah, blah, blah."

    People are just crazy. Love is crazy. Who understands it? And all we get in the Bible is one stinking chapter on love in Corinthians? What a rip! Some author spends a whole book on stupid rules, and another countless chapters on genealogy... but on love, all they give us is one chapter? Talk about short-changed.

    Oh, and don't start telling me how "Jesus' whole story is a metaphor on love." I don't get all that symbolism and metaphor stuff. Just lay it out straight for me, doc. Wouldja? That's all I'm asking.

    I mean, it's better to marry than burn. I get that sort of stuff. But c'mon, give me some more. And love is one thing, but where's the chapter on romance. Even junk novels have a romantic scenes in them. Here's the best Book in the world, THE BOOK, and no how-to romance chapter? I'm sunk. You mean I gotta figure all this out myself?

    No wonder we're drawing out people's names in pancake batter. Paul, Peter, John... heck, at least one of you could have given us a chap. on romance. Was that so hard? Apparently so.

    I guess I'll go back to reading, "Ezra son of Seraiah, the son of Azariah, the son of Hilkiah, 2 the son of Shallum, the son of Zadok, the son of Ahitub, 3 the son of Amariah, the son of Azariah, the son of Meraioth, 4 the son of Zerahiah, the son of Uzzi, the son of Bukki, 5 the son of Abishua, the son of Phinehas, the son of Eleazar, the son of Aaron the chief priest..."

    Reading away,
    Lonni

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:48 AM  

  • ha ha ha ha. ridiculous. maybe you should rename your blog to "true confessions of a camp-y queen".....maybe, maybe.
    much love!!!

    By Blogger caramac, at 5:07 PM  

  • Loni, how can you ignore the Song of Solomon. There's nothing better than the wink wink, nudge nudge of "pomegranates" and "ceders of Lebanon." And the kicker is, there's no reason to suspect that that letter was written about marital love either. Scandalous! :)

    By Blogger Ryan, at 6:13 PM  

  • Ryan,

    How I've missed you! Ah, yes, of course... see there's a reason our friends exist in the world... to remind us of the places we've erred! Of course, we have been given a chapter, nay, a book... The song... oh the sweet song... I'm off to do some reading right now!

    Pomegranates... yes, I like pomegranates.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:21 AM  

  • Here's a question for you, Holly: Do you ever use the phrase "yadda yadda yadda" instead of "bla bla bla"? Or maybe "duh di duh di duh"? Cause I always use bla bla bla and not the others. I wonder if its regional? ...

    By Blogger Ryan, at 6:00 PM  

  • um.....'duh di duh di duh'??? is that a Klint-ism?? :) yeah, i usually use bla bla bla...though i've pulled out yadda yadda a few times...must confess i've never gone as far as duh di duh di duh...is THAT some sort of regional thing??? :)

    By Blogger hollyannfail, at 9:16 AM  

  • It's hard to spell these things. Maybe it is in my head. I keep forgetting that not everybody is interested in these things. Most people look at me like I've just peeled a scab off my face when I stop the conversation to talk about how the preposition someone just used could be ambiguous.

    By Blogger Ryan, at 9:19 PM  

  • Dude . . . these comments. hahahahahahaha.

    Anyone up for a dum-dum party?

    By Blogger james, at 4:33 AM  

  • oh, dum dum parties...the memories of FR!

    Mr. Klint, you need to know that i don't think you're weird AT ALL for your language analyzations!! i do the same kinds of things, and always wonder in my head if people would think i was weird if they knew what i was thinking...so here's to us neurotic language-oriented people! :) and...the image of you peeling a scab off your face in public keeps me chuckling over and over.... :)

    By Blogger hollyannfail, at 9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home