Hope Springs Eternal in the Human Heart

Sunday, February 25, 2007

A movie that's actually a bit real-life-ish...

So, I saw a movie on Valentine's Day (spent with my mom, no less, instead of all the men who were knocking on my door...oh, wait...what men??) that was quite interesting. It's called "Prime" and it has Uma Thurman (heart-stoppingly gorgeous as always) and Meryl Streep. (i would put a picture of it up here but...i'm not internet savvy and don't know how to get pics off the internet...anyone help me??) Good commentary on relationships (family and dating) and quite funny in many parts. [**disclaimer: if you don't like spoilers, stop reading NOW because I'm going to give away the end of the movie! You have been warned...]

Fascinating story that involves Rafi (uma), a 37 year old divorcee with trust issues, going to see her therapist, (whose character's name escapes me)Meryl Streep. One night Uma meets this great guy Dave, who is wonderful and funny and sweet and talented, but on their first date she finds out that he's...23. (For those of you who know my last years of dating style...right up my alley...) Anyway, they continue to see each other and fall madly in love (done quite well in the movie), then Meryl realizes that this guy Rafi is telling her about is her SON (meryl's). OI! Meryl freaks, a bit of chaos ensues, etc. The point being that Rafi and Dave really love each other, and really want to make it work. Here's the spoiler, and what is alternately great and heartbreaking about the movie: in the end, they DON'T end up together. They realize that they're moving in opposite directions, and that though their love is real...sometimes, JUST love isn't enough. And they go their separate ways, sad, but with all these great memories...

Needless to say, I went to bed and cried. But I watched it again a week later, and only cried a little, because I realized...really, that's often how it is. You love someone, and you both give and learn and work really hard to see if it will work out, but...sometimes, it just can't. And I am finally really embracing the idea that just because it ends doesn't mean it was wrong in the first place...and doesn't mean that either of you didn't WANT it to work out. And doesn't invalidate what you had. Sometimes...we just have to love, and grow, and...move on. Having just come off of something similar in my own life, it just really resonated with me. And I was really grateful to see Hollywood finally doing it right--i think so many of us grow up with these unrealistic ideas about dating and marriage, because we are fed too many romantic comedy lies--that it ALWAYS works out, no matter what. It was nice to see an authentic and realistic depiction of dating relationships.

So, for those of you who can stand some foul language and know how to ffwd thru the multitude of sex scenes, I recommend it. Especially if you're still single and/or have ever nursed a broken heart.

Praise God for how He uses EVERYTHING in our lives to teach us. I'll confess I'm so GLAD to finally be at a point of healing and resolve over past dating relationships in my life...actually GRATEFUL that they happened, with no hard feelings. amazing what Jesus can do, eh? :)

Props to Uma, Meryl and ...Brian somebody, the actor who plays the 23 year old. And shoot...he got to make out with UMA THURMAN and got PAID for it...what young guy wouldn't want THAT job?? :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home