Hope Springs Eternal in the Human Heart

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Holly...a cowgirl??!!?




Oh yes, that is right, my friends...just had to write about this one! Some of you may know that I harbor a HUGE fear of horses. I was thrown when I was 10, and have been pretty afraid ever since. Which makes it funny that I've spent the last several years working at a camp that runs 2 main programs...whitewater rafting and HORSES. I'm sure you know which one I spent more time in :) Until...

My good friend Eric volunteered to fix a not-so-little something on my car last week. Eric does all the 'horse' stuff here at camp. I wanted to do something to thank him for taking care of my car, so...in my foolishness, I volunteered to feed the horses for him all last weekend. He gave me a lesson on Friday morning, and then on Saturday/Sunday I was all on my own!! That's right, kiddos...Holly Ann tried to be a cowgirl!!
And so I will share a few nuggets of widsom with you that I learned about working around/feeding horses:
1. If you're deathly afraid of them, they seem to know it and actually TRY to freak you out all the more. Like baring their huge, 2-3 inch, yellow stained teeth at you...or sticking their huge, cavernous mouths down near your ear (I swear I could hear them whispering about how tasty it looked)...or walking towards you when you have nowhere to run...





2. Don't wear anything with pockets when working around hay. It simply gets stuck and never leaves. My hoodie sweatshirt and jeans are facing MULTIPLE washings to get out the little bits of hay that are down in the seams of the pockets...I kid you not!!




3. Be ready to have hay everywhere on your person at the end of feeding time....and yes, I do mean EVERYWHERE.





4. Some horses have no conception of 'personal space.' Vail, the white one in the pictures, was IN MY FACE every moment I was near her! (and you can reference #1 on this one, too).




5. Driving around in a big 'farm-y' 4WD truck feels cool.


6. Getting up early in the morning and doing work feels good. (as long as you got some sleep the night before)
7. Country music still sucks, no matter how fun getting up early and driving a 4WD truck is.

That is all! Aren't you proud of me?!!

17 Comments:

  • So very proud. Next time, just pretend it's Aderate that you're feeding, and then it won't be so harrowing.

    By Blogger james, at 7:06 PM  

  • yes me proud as well.

    they do know when you are scared, and just like people they will either push that button or try to make friends with you.

    By Blogger Mike Murrow, at 10:45 PM  

  • So very proud of you!

    I'm sure Vail was trying to make friends with you. She seems like a very friendly horse.

    By Blogger Dones, at 11:02 PM  

  • I love that it's ALL ks gentlemen who are in support of my pseudo-horsey-ness.

    James, if i pretended it was Audie, all I'd be able to do is CRY as I picture him sucking on a WARHEAD!!! :) bastards....

    By Blogger hollyannfail, at 10:32 AM  

  • Can't claim that one. that was all Cade!

    By Blogger james, at 12:50 PM  

  • Congrats on the equestrian bravery, Holly. There is something magical about waking up to work at the crack of dawn. Like you're more closely connected to the earth and its life cycle.

    By Blogger Ryan, at 10:07 PM  

  • hi holly,
    you probably don't remember me, I'm René from july2000dts. the short girl from Louisiana. Anyways i was just trying to get in touch with people from dts-it's been so long,and the more time goes by, the harder it is to keep in touch (and remember last names!) I was going through magnetic island pictures and missing those times.anyway, you look great-here is my email reneprs@juno.com

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:32 AM  

  • post something! :)

    By Blogger james, at 4:40 AM  

  • Holly,
    This is Yogi (dan scharenberg) from mission spring like 11 years or so now. I came across you blog here and thought I would say hi. Christy and I are still in Kansas City, and we have two wonderful little ones and one on the way. Joel is now 5 years old and Serenity is 16 months. I would love to catch up with you sometime. My email is danscharenberg@fitnesstogether.com.
    Take care,
    Dan

    By Blogger postmaned, at 8:22 PM  

  • Holly!
    I don't know if you ever check this anymore (April for crying out loud...) but you owe an old best friend a call or something. If you see this, email me (smartastronaut@verizon.net). You should be excited to know that when I googled "holly fail" looking for you, your blog is the first thing that popped up. Neat, huh?
    Clark Wilson

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:44 PM  

  • Hey,
    I saw a pair of running shoes at the bottom of the page, but where are the bells? Don't tell me you finally took them off :)

    I can't believe I came across this page, after all these years.

    It's Eric Curtis.
    If you still check this page, drop me an email.
    curtisdesign at swbell dot net

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:11 PM  

  • ok, you gotta update this sucker, girl!

    -BG

    By Blogger Gibbytron, at 10:58 AM  

  • Holly, where are you?

    new email acct:
    ericcurtismail at gmail dot com

    By Blogger Unknown, at 7:10 PM  

  • Holy Crap! You're still out there in the big wide world-I'm so happy I could spit! Write me or I'll come stay with you.:) Of course the date of your last blog is like dinosaur era in tech-world so I'm hoping you even get this.
    Word,
    HAP and the posse
    Check out Ian's Ghana trip-it's teamghana.blogspot
    Look at our flickr site- our username is hapnian.

    By Blogger hapnian, at 8:09 PM  

  • Oh yeah, here's our e-mail:
    troll.guy@verizon.net

    derhapenshmurfen

    By Blogger hapnian, at 8:11 PM  

  • Holly Fail? Are you holly fail who once attended PLNC?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:43 PM  

  • wow... this is such a great blog... new posts all the time! In fact, I'm overwhelmed by the frequency of the posts... I've gotta go now. =)

    By Blogger Derek, at 12:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home